Central Steering Committee for
Natural Disaster Prevention and Control
Ref. No.: 92 /TWPCTT
Sub: Review the current situation and be well prepared
for disaster responses in the context of COVID-19
THE SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM
Independence – Freedom – Happiness
Hanoi, 29 July 2020
To: Commanding Committees for Natural Disaster Prevention and Control, Search and Rescue of provinces and cities
Since the start of the year, natural disasters have had unusual and extreme manifestations and caused great losses and damages to lives, livelihoods and production activities of people across Vietnam, including such disasters as thunderstorms, whirlwinds, lightning, hail, flash floods and landslides in Northern mountainous provinces, historic drought and salinity intrusion in the Mekong Delta etc. Currently, the main rainy and typhoon season already started and it is forecasted that in the next few days, tropical depression will appear in the East Sea and affect our country. Heavy rain will be observed in almost all areas across Vietnam.
In order to proactively respond to natural disasters in the context of complicated Covid-19 pandemic, no interruption to COVID-19 pandemic prevention and control is allowed during disaster responses.
The Central Steering Committee for Natural Disaster Prevention and Control kindly request the Commanding Committees for Natural Disaster Prevention and Control, Search and Rescue of Provinces and Cities to:
- Regularly monitor weather forecast bulletins and warnings and Covid-19 pandemic reports via mass media, Viber newsletter, Facebooks of the CCNDPC and of Ministry of Health to timely notify and guide governments and people at all levels in proactive prevention and response to both natural disasters and the pandemic to ensure successful control of the twin “disasters”.
- Provinces and cities which are experiencing high Covid-19 risks: along with remedies and actions to the Pandemic, local governments are requested to review and adjust the disaster management plans in flexible manner and to promote optimally the motto "4 on the spot" to ensure prompt and effective responses to disasters given limited external supports. The safety of people being guaranteed due to COVID-19 is quite important and excavation plan for potential affected people should be also prepared.
- Other provinces and cities: review, update and supplement suitable disaster management plans to adapt to current situations at local level during pandemic outbreak, focusing on following contents:
- Review and update the evacuation plan for people, favoring on-the-spot evacuation than concentrated evacuation. Prepare necessary equipment and machines necessary for measuring body temperature; classify groups of different infection possibilities for the preparation of suitable evacuation plans.
- Ready to mobilize food, foodstuffs, standard necessities, disinfectant chemicals, medical masks for people in evacuation sites.
- Prepare a list of different forces to be mobilized for disaster responses in case of escalating COVID-19 pandemic, especially first hour response taskforce at commune level
- Develop disaster response plans for concentrated guaranteed areas and hospitals.
- Prepare tools, equipment, medicines, medical masks, etc. to ensure pandemic safety for members of the Commanding Committee for Natural Disaster Prevention and Control, Search and Rescue at all levels if they may have field missions to inspect and lead disaster response efforts and safety for all forces involving in disaster response and recovery.
- Strengthen and proactively prepare and implement online connections, directions, leaderships and application of informatics technologies (email, software, facebook, viber ...) serving disaster directions, response leaderships and communication during disaster events between CCNDPC and Commanding Committee for Natural Disaster Prevention and Control, Search and Rescue at different levels, especially with the Commanding Committees at district and commune levels in a way that is suitable to their conditions.
- Based on actual conditions, duty tasks and disaster reports at local levels will be adjusted and adopted suitably and sent to CCNDPC and VINASARCOM.
The Commanding Committees for Natural Disaster Prevention and Control, Search and Rescue of Provinces and Cities are requested to strictly follow this Official Dispatch.
P.P. Chairman of CCNDPC
Tran Quang Hoai