The PRIME MINISTER sends this telegraph to:
- National Steering Committee for Natural Disaster Prevention and Control;
- National Committee for Incident and Disaster Response and Search and Rescue;
- Ministers of Agriculture and Rural Development,
- Ministries: Natural Resources and Environment, Transportation, Industry and Trade, National Defense, Public security, Education and Training;
- Chairmen of the People's Committees of provinces and cities: Ha Tinh, Quang Binh, Quang Tri, Thua Thien Hue, Da Nang, Quang Nam, Quang Ngai, Binh Dinh and Phu Yen.
From November 12, 2023 up to now, prolonged heavy rain in the Central region has caused flooding, landslides, damages to properties and affecting people's lives and production activities; in Thua Thien Hue province, there was extremely heavy rain and the total rainfall in 24 hours (from 14 to 15 November) was approx. 800 - 900 mm, causing large scale inundation, especially in Hue city and towns of Huong Tra, Huong Thuy,…
The National Center for Hydro-meteorological Forecasting predicts that from the evening of November 15th to the 17th, 2023, the Central region, particularly Thua Thien Hue, will experience persistent heavy to extremely heavy rainfall. Given the recent continuous downpours, most reservoirs are essentially at full capacity and the soil is thoroughly water-saturated. Consequently, there is a significant risk of widespread flooding and waterlogging, with a particular threat of landslides and flash floods in mountainous regions and hilly slopes.
The Prime Minister urges the National Steering Committee for Natural Disaster Prevention and Control, the National Committee for Incident and Disaster Response and Search and Rescue, Ministers, and Chairpersons of the People’s Committees of provinces and cities to closely monitor the progression of floods and rainfall. They are to concentrate their efforts on directing disaster responses, and proactively, promptly, and effectively implement measures for flood and heavy rain response and recovery. The primary objective is to safeguard the lives and safety of the people, minimize property damage, and limit the impact on production activities and daily life. The following tasks should be prioritized:
- Chairmen of the People's Committees of Thua Thien Hue province and other provinces and cities:
- a) Focus on directions to ensure life-saving:
- Direct local radio, television and mass media to increase propaganda, communications and guidance to people on how to take measures to ensure their safety and minimize damages during floods, heavy rains and inundation.
- Continue to direct and mobilize forces to organize the inspection and promptly detect, proactively evacuate affected people and vehicles (including households and agencies) in dangerous and insecure areas, especially in deeply flooded areas, along rivers and streams, and areas at risk of landslides and flash floods.
- Deploy forces to strictly guard, control and guide safe traffic for people and vehicles, especially in low level crossings, spillways, overflows, deeply flooded areas, fast-flowing water, areas in risk of landslides; absolutely ban people and vehicles from passing these structures if safety is not guaranteed; absolutely avoid any unfortunate human losses due to carelessness and neglect.
- Based on the specific local situations, shall decide to close schools to ensure safety; proactively direct and deploy measures to ensure safety for teachers, pupils and educational institutions in flooded areas.
- b) Collaborate with relevant agencies to actively guide the safe and secure operation of irrigation and hydro-power infrastructure, as well as reservoirs in the areas. This is to ensure their condition and the safety of downstream areas, prevent artificial floods, absorb floodwater to reduce downstream floods, and implement measures to ensure the safety of dykes, reservoirs, and dams according to their respective alarm levels. Special attention should be given to key structures under construction to minimize potential damages.
- c) Organize the distribution of emergency relief supplies, including food and necessities, to households at risk of hunger. This is particularly important for households forced to evacuate due to floods, inundation, landslides, and those in deeply flooded and isolated areas. It is crucial to ensure that people do not suffer from hunger, cold, or lack of shelter. Timely launch necessary supports to households affected by disasters as legally regulated.
- d) Proactively allocate staff and vehicles in important areas to assist people in evacuating when incidents happen.
- d) Direct the quick recovery of disaster aftermaths, cleaning the environment, restoring production and daily activities of local people and continuing the studying of pupils in schools immediately once floods recedes.
- The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment shall organize the close monitoring of natural disasters; issuing warnings, forecasts and providing adequate and timely information to functional agencies for necessary responses to rains and floods as regulated;
- The Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development and the Ministry of Industry and Trade, according to their assigned state management functions, shall coordinate with localities to direct effective operation of irrigation and hydropower reservoirs to ensure their safety; Direct measures to ensure safety of agricultural production, industries, and electrical systems in flooded areas.
- The Ministry of Education and Training shall coordinate with localities to direct measures to ensure safety of teachers, pupils, equipment, tools and school supplies.
- The Ministry of Transport shall direct and coordinate with localities to ensure traffic safety, promptly response to incidents, and ensure smooth traffic, especially along main traffic routes.
- The National Committee for Incident and Disaster Response and Search and Rescue and the Ministries of National Defense and Public Security proactively direct forces stationed in the areas to coordinate and support respective localities in launching necessary responses to floods and rains as regulated;
- Vietnam Television, Voice of Vietnam, Vietnam News Agency, People’ Newspaper and mass media agencies shall enhance news coverage and proactively provide guidance to people on prevention and response skills to disasters to minimize damages.
- The National Steering Committee for Natural Disaster Prevention and Control shall closely monitor flood developments, proactively direct, inspect and expedite localities to promptly deploy measures to prevent, control and recover consequences of disasters according to its authority; Report to the Prime Minister and request for his directions on issues beyond its authority for solutions;
- The Government Office shall monitor and report to the Prime Minister in accordance with its assigned functions and tasks./.
Signed by Vice Prime Minister Tran Luu Quang